Frizzy Hair Treatments for Long-term Frizz Management
By Shehnaz Shirazi
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we may earn from qualifying purchases.
In this article:
- Salon treatments
- Keratin treatment
- Olaplex treatment
- Protein treatment
- Kerastase treatment
- Hair relaxing treatment
- Oil treatment
- Glycerin treatment
- Ayurvedic treatment
- Conditioning treatment
- Leave-in treatment
- Overnight hair treatment
- Hair spa treatment
- At-home treatment
- Menopause frizzy hair treatment
A frizzy hair treatment hydrates, nourishes, and heals the hair to make it smoother, more manageable, and less prone to frizz.
Unlike regular anti-frizz hair products that are instant, short-term fixes, an anti-frizz hair treatment delivers long-term results and improves your hair’s overall appearance, texture, and health.
If you wish to cut down on the number of products you use daily to manage frizz and want low-maintenance hair, an anti-frizz treatment can help you achieve that.
Sure, the effects of such treatments will eventually wear out, but the long-term benefits of not spending money on hair products every week and cutting down on salon visits for regular trims and touch-ups can make them worth the investment.
If you haven’t tried one before, read on to find out about the options …
Best Frizzy Hair Treatments
There are various types of treatments for frizzy hair that address different types of frizz and their underlying causes.
It’s important to consult with a hairdresser or hairstylist before considering an anti-frizz hair treatment. They will help you determine if the solution is right for your hair type and frizz problems. Some treatments can also be customized to your hair type. So talk to your hairdresser or stylist about how they can help you get the best results.
Here are the most popular salon solutions for frizzy hair to consider:
Salon Treatments for Frizzy Hair
A salon treatment for frizzy hair can help by targeting the underlying issues, improving hair health and texture, and providing expert guidance for long-term frizz management.
It provides the opportunity to consult with a professional stylist who can assess your hair’s specific needs and recommend the most suitable treatment. They can also provide tips on proper hair care and maintenance to keep frizz under control.
Professional salon treatments typically offer longer-lasting results than at-home remedies or temporary fixes. Depending on the treatment, the results can last for weeks or months.
Here are some of the best salon treatments you can try:
1. Keratin Treatment
A keratin treatment is a semi-permanent chemical hair treatment that uses hair-fortifying ingredients, such as keratin proteins, collagen, and amino acids, to improve the hair’s texture, manageability, and appearance for at least 3 months.
The treatment is applied to the hair and heated with a flat iron. It fills cracks and damages and forms a protective coating around each hair strand to make it smoother and shinier.
The reason why keratin treatment is considered the best salon treatment for frizzy hair is because of its versatility to work across all hair types and its ability to make the hair less prone to frizz for up to 3 months.
A keratin treatment fixes porosity problems, nourishes the hair, and repairs damage to the cuticle layer, which is the primary cause of frizziness.
The common misconception about keratin treatment is that it’s only meant to straighten the hair.
But that’s not true.
There are several types of keratin treatments.
The Brazilian hair straightening treatment is mainly used for straightening hair due to its intense formula.
Keratin smoothing treatments, in contrast, are more versatile and can be used on curly and wavy hair textures. Smoothing treatments don’t break the hair’s natural bonds to make them straight. Instead, they work to enhance the hair’s texture for better manageability.
The exact ingredients in keratin treatments can vary depending on the brand and the type of treatment. When considering such treatments, you must watch out for harmful ingredients like Formaldehyde (a toxic gas and carcinogen), which is common in keratin straightening treatments.
2. Olaplex Treatment
Olaplex treatment is an effective frizzy hair solution that repairs and reconnects broken disulfide bonds within the hair’s structure. Disulfide bonds are covalent bonds that stabilize the three-dimensional structure of proteins in the hair, influencing the hair’s function and stability.
The treatment also restores the integrity of the hair cuticles.
Olaplex is a bond multiplier hair treatment. It uses an active ingredient called Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate, which mends the disulfide bonds in hair that can be damaged by various factors such as heat styling, chemical treatments, and environmental stressors.
Here’s a quick overview of what it does:
- Repairs: By re-linking broken disulfide bonds, Olaplex treatments effectively repair hair from within, restoring its strength and elasticity.
- Strengthens: By restoring disulfide bonds, hair becomes more resilient and less prone to breakage, resulting in stronger and healthier locks.
- Eliminates frizz: The improved hair health achieved with Olaplex treatments leads to a smoother, more manageable texture, reducing frizz and flyaways.
Olaplex treatments are particularly beneficial for curly hair because curls have more S-bonds (disulfide bonds) than straight hair. These S-bonds give curly hair its characteristic shape and elasticity, but they also make curls more vulnerable to breakage and damage.
Since the Olaplex treatment specifically targets and repairs disulfide bonds, it works exceptionally well for curly hair. By mending the broken S-bonds, Olaplex helps to restore the hair’s natural structure, strength, and elasticity. This results in reduced frizz, increased manageability, and healthier hair for those with curly hair types.
Best Olaplex for frizzy curly hair:
Olaplex treatments can also be used on other hair types and textures. Most professional hairstylists use it with chemical treatments such as coloring and bleaching to prevent hair breakage, reduce the risk of damage, and prolong their effects.
The treatment process typically involves three key steps:
- Olaplex No.1 Bond Multiplier.
- Olaplex No.2 Bond Perfector.
- Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector.
with additional at-home maintenance products available for continued care.
3. Protein Treatment
A protein treatment may be necessary for frizzy hair when the hair has experienced significant protein loss due to various factors, such as chemical treatments (e.g., coloring, perming, or relaxing), heat styling, and environmental stressors. Hair lacking in protein becomes weak and porous and is often classified as having high porosity.
Protein treatments replenish the hair’s protein content, improving its strength, structure, and manageability. But a good moisture balance is essential when doing such treatments to avoid protein overload, which can make the hair stiff and brittle.
Hair types that are ideal for protein treatments include:
- Chemically-treated hair
- Heat-damaged hair
- Fine or thin hair
- High porosity hair
A protein treatment can help fill in gaps in the cuticle, reducing porosity and the likelihood of frizz.
Protein treatments are not recommended for low porosity hair because it has a tightly compacted cuticle layer, which makes it difficult for the protein to penetrate and be absorbed. Low porosity hair is often protein-sensitive and can easily become stiff, dry, and brittle.
If your hair feels frizzy after a protein treatment, you may need to incorporate more moisturizing treatments to restore its protein-moisture balance and improve its elasticity and softness.
Protein treatments can be done once every 4-6 weeks or as needed based on the condition of the hair. It’s best to have it done in a hair salon after properly assessing your hair. Do not try to do it at home unless you are a pro and you know what you’re doing.
4. Kerastase Treatment for Frizzy Hair
Kérastase is a luxury hair care brand known for its innovative and high-quality treatments. They offer a range of treatments specifically designed to tackle frizz and make the hair healthier. Kerastase treatments can also be used to enhance the natural texture of curly hair.
Here are some of the best salon treatments for frizzy hair offered by Kerastase:
Kerastase Discipline Treatment:
Kérastase Discipline is a line of product designed to smooth, tame, and control frizzy hair.
The collection includes:
- Hair mask.
- and smoothing thermo-protective spray.
The Discipline range is formulated with advanced technology and ingredients like Morpho-Keratin Complex, which helps to restore the hair’s natural fiber and protect it from humidity, preventing frizz.
Kerastase Fusio Dose Treatment:
The Fusio-Dose treatment begins with a professional hair diagnosis to determine your specific hair needs. Depending on your hair concerns, your stylist will select a base concentrate and a booster to address your hair’s unique requirements.
For frizzy hair, the Concentré Oléo-Fusion and Booster Discipline are commonly used.
Concentré Oléo-Fusion is a nourishing concentrate that provides intense hydration, smoothness, and softness. It works to replenish the hair’s moisture and restore its natural balance, reducing frizz and improving manageability.
5. Hair Relaxing Treatment for Frizzy Hair
Hair relaxing treatments can help frizzy hair by chemically altering its structure to make it straighter and smoother. Relaxers break down the natural bonds in curly or wavy hair, rearrange them, and then reform them into straighter bonds.
While it is true that relaxing hair treatments are often used to treat African American hair types (tightly curled or coiled hair), they can also work for other hair types.
A hair relaxing treatment must be done in a salon because such treatment can be damaging if not done properly. Choosing the right type of relaxer is important based on your hair type and condition.
Lye relaxers containing sodium hydroxide are generally considered the harshest type of relaxer and are best for coarse, resistant hair. No-lye relaxers, which contain calcium hydroxide and guanidine carbonate, are milder and are better suited for fine or color-treated hair. Thio relaxers, which contain thioglycolic acid salts, are the mildest type and are best for fragile or damaged hair.
So this was a list of professional salon-based treatments for frizzy hair. These treatments can be quite expensive, but they are worth the cost if you want frizz-free, smooth hair that is easy to manage for months.
If the cost is too much for you, you can try other at-home treatments.
Oil Treatments for Frizzy Hair
Oil treatments can prevent frizzy hair by penetrating the hair shaft, providing nourishment, and sealing in moisture. The science behind the effectiveness of oil treatments for frizzy hair lies in their chemical structure and hydrophobic properties.
- Penetration and nourishment:Some oils, such as coconut oil and avocado oil, contain small molecular structures that allow them to penetrate the hair shaft. This penetration delivers essential fatty acids and nutrients directly to the hair cortex, strengthening and conditioning the hair from within.
- Sealing in moisture:Oils, such as argan oil and jojoba oil, are hydrophobic, meaning they repel water. When applied to the hair, these oils form a protective barrier around the hair shaft, sealing in moisture and keeping the hair hydrated. Hydrated hair is less prone to frizz, as it is less likely to absorb moisture from the surrounding environment.
- Smoothing the hair cuticle layer:Frizz occurs when the outer layer of the hair, known as the cuticle, is raised or damaged. Oils help to smooth and seal the hair cuticle, reducing frizz and enhancing shine. This smoothing effect is particularly noticeable with oils rich in oleic acid, such as almond and marula oil.
- Protection from environmental factors:Oil treatments form a barrier on the hair shaft, shielding it from environmental factors such as humidity, UV rays, and pollution. These factors can contribute to frizz and damage, but oils’ protective properties help minimize their impact.
To make it even more effective, heat the oil before applying.
Hot Oil Treatments for Frizzy Hair
When oils are heated, their viscosity decreases, allowing them to penetrate the hair shaft more easily. The heat helps to open up the hair cuticle, enabling the oil to be absorbed more efficiently. This deep penetration provides essential nutrients and hydration to the hair cortex, improving hair strength and elasticity.
Hot oil treatments are better suited for dry and frizzy hair because they provide more intense moisture penetration and retention. A hot oil treatment can also provide additional benefits like enhanced scalp circulation by bringing more oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicles.
Best hot oil treatments for dry and frizzy hair:
Glycerin Treatment for Frizzy Hair
Glycerin is a humectant, meaning it attracts moisture from where it’s most abundant. Glycerin treatments can be an effective solution for frizzy hair, particularly for dry hair, curly and wavy hair, high porosity hair, and damaged hair.
In high humidity, glycerin will pull moisture from the air to bind it to your hair. However, it can do the opposite in very dry or low-humidity environments – extracting moisture out of your hair and into the air.
The key to using glycerin for frizzy hair is knowing when and how much to use. You’ll want to use a very small amount – only about one teaspoon per cup of water. Mix it well so that it’s completely dissolved in your treatment mixture.
Ayurvedic Treatments for Frizzy Hair
Ayurvedic treatments for frizzy hair focus on holistic and natural approaches to restore balance, health, and vitality to the hair and scalp. Drawing from ancient Indian wisdom and traditions, these treatments utilize various herbs, oils, and natural ingredients to nourish and rejuvenate the hair, addressing the root causes of frizz and other hair concerns.
Ayurvedic remedies for frizzy hair include:
- Herbal infusions:
- Ayurveda emphasizes using potent herbs known for their hair-nourishing properties. Ingredients such as amla (Indian gooseberry), shikakai (soapnut), brahmi (bacopa), and bhringraj (false daisy) are commonly used in hair infusions to cleanse, condition, and strengthen hair, reducing frizz and promoting overall hair health.
- Oil massages:
- A cornerstone of Ayurvedic hair care is the practice of regular scalp massages with nourishing oils. Oils such as coconut, sesame, almond, and olive oil can be combined with essential oils like rosemary, lavender, or ylang-ylang to create a customized blend for your specific hair type and concerns. Regular oil massages help to moisturize the hair and scalp, improve blood circulation, and stimulate hair growth, ultimately reducing frizz and enhancing hair’s manageability.
- Natural hair masks:
- Ayurvedic treatments often involve using hair masks made from natural ingredients to deeply nourish and repair dry and frizzy hair strands. Ingredients such as yogurt, honey, fenugreek seeds, and aloe vera can be mixed to create a hydrating and smoothing hair mask that combats frizz and restores hair’s natural shine and elasticity.
- Balanced diet:
- Ayurveda recognizes the importance of a balanced diet for overall hair health. Consuming foods rich in vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids like nuts, seeds, leafy greens, and fresh fruits can help maintain healthy hair and prevent frizz by providing the necessary nutrients for optimal hair growth and strength.
- Stress management:
- Stress can negatively impact hair health and contribute to frizz. Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of stress reduction through practices such as meditation, yoga, and pranayama (breathing exercises), which help maintain body balance and promote overall hair health.
Deep Conditioning Treatments for Frizzy Hair
A deep conditioning treatment for hair hydrates, nourishes, and protects the hair, ultimately enhancing its appearance, manageability, and ability to ward off frizz, split ends, breakage, and hair loss.
A deep conditioning treatment typically comes in the form of a nutrient-rich conditioner, leave-in conditioner, or hair mask applied to clean, damp or wet hair and left on for longer than regular conditioners.
The deep conditioning product typically contains keratin proteins, natural oils, and humectants to repair damaged hair and fill gaps and cracks in the hair’s cuticle layer.
The application process is simple. After washing your hair, apply the deep conditioning treatment and leave it for about 20-30 minutes. You can use a shower cap or a hooded hair dryer to generate heat so that the treatment can infuse faster into the hair.
Doing a deep conditioning treatment for dry and frizzy hair is recommended once a week as the treatment can be too intense for regular applications.
If you prefer a lightweight version, use a leave-in conditioner with similar ingredients formulated for daily wear.
Best deep conditioning treatments to try:
Leave-In Conditioner Treatments
Leave-in conditioner treatments are formulated to provide lasting moisture and nourishment to your hair without weighing it down or causing buildup. These products are applied after shampooing and conditioning and left in the hair without rinsing.
Leave-in conditioners are particularly effective for curly frizzy hair because curly hair tends to be dryer and is more prone to tangles due to twists and turns. A leave-in conditioner enhances moisture retention and curl definition and adds more slip to curly hair textures to prevent them from drying out and tangling.
Overnight Treatments for Frizzy Hair
Overnight hair treatments offer a more prolonged and intensive approach to treating frizzy hair. The treatment involves applying a hair product or DIY concoction of natural ingredients to your hair and covering the hair with a protective cap overnight.
The extended duration of treatment allows the active ingredients to penetrate deeply into the hair, which is highly beneficial for people with chronically dry and damaged hair.
Overnight hair treatments are preferred over other methods as they save time and effort. Instead of spending hours applying and waiting for hair treatments to process, you can simply apply the product or remedy before bed and let it work its magic while you sleep.
They are convenient and low-maintenance and are ideal for those with busy lifestyles.
Anyone struggling with frizzy hair can benefit from overnight hair treatments. Whether you have curly or straight hair, natural or chemically treated hair, or live in a humid or dry climate, overnight treatments can help tame frizz and improve hair texture.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Coconut oil treatment: Coconut oil is a natural emollient that can help control frizzy hair. Warm up some coconut oil and apply it to your hair, focusing on the ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on overnight.
- Avocado and honey treatment: Avocado is rich in fatty acids and vitamins that can nourish and strengthen the hair. Honey is a natural humectant that attracts moisture. Mash up a ripe avocado and mix it with some honey. Apply the mixture to your hair, cover it with a shower cap, and leave it on overnight.
- Yogurt and egg treatment: Yogurt is a natural conditioner that can help hydrate and soften hair, while eggs are rich in protein to help repair damaged hair. Mix some plain yogurt with an egg, apply the mixture to your hair, and cover it before bed.
- Olive oil treatment: Olive oil is a natural moisturizer that can help reduce frizz and add shine to hair. Warm up some olive oil and apply it to your hair, focusing on the ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on overnight.
In the morning, wash your hair thoroughly with a good conditioning shampoo and use a microfiber towel or cotton t-shirt to gently dry. Avoid blow drying if possible. Apply styling products (if necessary) while your hair is still damp and let your hair air dry.
Hair Spa Treatment
A hair spa treatment for frizzy hair is a specialized, multi-step professional service designed to rejuvenate and restore your hair’s health, shine, and manageability. It combines deep cleansing, nourishing masks, therapeutic scalp massages, steam, and professional-grade products specifically tailored to combat frizz and restore balance to your hair.
Here’s how it works:
- Deep cleansing:Hair spa treatments start with a deep cleansing process to remove dirt, oil, and product buildup, which can contribute to frizziness.
- Improved hydration:Nourishing masks and hair serums are applied to replenish essential moisture, reducing frizz and adding softness to the hair.
- Strengthening:Protein-rich treatments help to repair damaged hair fibers, making them stronger and more resilient to breakage and frizz.
- Increased shine:The smoothing effects of the treatments make the hair sleek and shiny for days.
- Relaxation:The therapeutic massage included in a hair spa treatment helps to stimulate blood circulation and provides a relaxing experience.
Check out the Philip Kingsley Hair Spa Treatment.
Best at-home Treatments for Frizzy Hair
A home remedy for frizzy hair refers to natural, DIY treatments that can be easily prepared and applied using ingredients commonly found in your pantry or local store. These remedies provide an affordable and chemical-free alternative to salon treatments and commercial products, targeting frizz and nourishing your hair from the comfort of your home.
Opting for a home remedy can save time and money, as they are typically less expensive and more accessible than professional treatments.
DIY Homemade Remedies for Frizzy Hair
From banana hair masks to apple cider vinegar rinses, here are the best home remedies for frizzy and unruly hair …
Menopause Frizzy Hair Treatment
Menopause frizzy hair treatments provide targeted solutions to frizzy hair caused by hormonal imbalances. Unlike traditional treatments that improve the hair’s condition, a menopausal hair treatment works to balance the hormones responsible for menopausal frizz.
That’s why most menopause treatments for frizzy hair combine oral medications and hair products that work together to balance the hormone levels and restore the hair.
Nutrafol Woman's Balance
Are Your Treating Your Frizzy Hair?
Frizzy hair treatments play a crucial role in managing and treating frizz-prone hair.
From professional salon treatments to using natural ingredients, a wide range of options are available to suit individual needs and preferences.
By selecting the appropriate treatment and adopting a consistent hair care routine, you can effectively tame frizzy hair, restore hydration, and keep your hair healthy without splashing on numerous anti-frizz hair products.
Take a more holistic approach to hair care.